THE CANADIAN TIMES

EC PUBLISHING SINCE 1904

Sunday, Mar 24th

Last updateWed, 14 Feb 2018 7pm


Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/times/public_html/ct2/modules/mod_janewsticker/helper.php on line 239
Headlines:
You are here: Home Canadian Values Protect our Children

Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/times/public_html/ct2/plugins/content/jabookmark/jabookmark.php on line 68

Protect Children

Tory MP slams Ontario sex-ed plan: says it must be recalled to prevent kids 'from being groomed for exploitation'

A Conservative Member of Parliament from Ontario is raising concern that the graphic nature of Kathleen Wynne's new sex ed curriculum risks putting children in a position to be "groomed for exploitation."

Cheryl Gallant, MP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, says the program underscores the need for quick passage of a federal bill designed to protect children from predators.

"Mr. Speaker, if anything demonstrates the need for the House to quickly pass Bill C-26, our Conservative legislation for tougher penalties against child predators, it is the decision by the Liberal Party in Toronto to introduce sweeping changes to how grade school children are taught sex education," Gallant told Parliament in a members' statement yesterday.

Read More

MPP says Liberals being 'very defensive'

Accusations of making a homophobic comment about Premier Kathleen Wynne is not causing an area MPP to back down in his fight against the new sex-ed curriculum.

Lambton-Kent-Middlesex MPP Monte McNaughton was accused by Education Minister Liz Sandals of making a homophobic remark when he stated Tuesday it's up to parents and not the premier - "especially Kathleen Wynne" - to decide what children are taught about sex in school.

Wynne is the first openly gay Premier of Ontario.

McNaughton continued to take shots at Wynne and the Liberal party when asked about the homophobic accusation by The Chatham Daily News on Wednesday.

Read More

Nova Scotia man accused of luring six girls online

A 29-year-old Nova Scotia man - a repeat sexual offender - has been charged with Internet luring after he allegedly contacted six girls and arranged to meet them, RCMP said.

Mounties launched the investigation when the father of two daughters, aged 10 and 12, told officers the accused allegedly contacted her children on social media.

Officers investigated and identified an additional two victims who had been chatting with the accused, RCMP said.

Read More

Sex-ed curriculum a done deal

It was cold on the lawns of Queen's Park Tuesday, yet a small group of protesters gathered to voice their disapproval of the new provincial sex-ed curriculum.

Two Tory leadership hopefuls - Monte McNaughton and Patrick Brown - took part.

They're seeking more parental input into the curriculum.

Read More

Ontario's education minister balks at holding open consultation with parents on new sex-ed program

Pro-family groups have rejected the recent claim by Ontario's education minister, Liz Sandals, that her Liberal government was unable to consult parents on a controversial sex-ed program, scheduled to be implemented in the province's schools this fall.

"There's no way that I can talk to two million parents," Sandals said in a February 2 interview with Metroland Media Group.

Sandals instead defended her government's November online survey of 4,000 parents, one per each Ontario school. "What we wanted to do was ensure that we had feedback that was a good sample."

Read More

New sex-ed curriculum under fire

The fight is on.

And Dr. Charles McVety, of Canada Christian College, pulled no punches about that.

Ontario's new sex education curriculum is nothing more than an "indoctrination" vehicle to teach children a new way of thinking about gender and parents may have no choice but to pull their kids from school to stop it, says the man who lead the defeat of a similar attempt in 2010.

He won round one back in 2010.

Read More

Orillia woman pleads guilty in child sex abuse case

One of the women involved with a slew of shocking sex offences involving children and animals pleaded guilty in Barrie court Thursday.

Kathryn Thompson, who turns 21 on Friday, pleaded guilty to 11 counts including conspiring with former boyfriend Shayne Lund to drug and sexually assault children, committing bestiality on a dog, and creating and possessing child pornography.

Standing in front of the court, Thompson broke down weeping as she repeated "guilty" to each count.

Read More

Proposed sex-ed curriculum changes unveiled Monday

Critics of Ontario's planned sex-ed curriculum changes are gearing up for a battle.

With the release of a new sex-ed curriculum scheduled for  Monday, Tory MPP Monte McNaughton said the process by which curriculum changes were made is a farce.

"They've not consulted with parents, they've cut parents out of the entire process," McNaughton insisted Sunday.

Five years after the Liberal government scrapped proposed sex-ed curriculum changes under a shroud of controversy, Ontario's education ministry is making another attempt.

Read More

Teachers forced kids to drop pants in search for serial pooper: Student

An 11-year-old girl says teachers told her and about two dozen classmates to drop their pants for a feces inspection at their Texas school this week, a local TV station reports.

The teachers at the elementary school in the hamlet of Gustine had been finding feces on the gym floor, so in a bid to find the culprit they ordered the boys and girls to go into separate rooms Monday and "pull down their pants to check them to see if they could find anything," Maria Medina, the mother of the girl, told WFAA.

Read More

Ontario sex-ed: They're teaching my kids to do what?

The province's controversial sex-education curriculum is back -- and parents won't get a say about its radical content.

Click Here to Watch the Video

New sex ed curriculum will be explained in pamphlet: Sandals

Parents curious about the controversial new sex education curriculum coming to Ontario schools this fall will be provided with pamphlets that explain what's being taught from Grade 1 on, Education Minister Liz Sandals said.

Ontario's education ministry will also post the new physical and health education and health curriculum online later this winter, she said.

"We don't expect parents to go wading through the health and phys ed curriculum, quite frankly, because the vast majority of it is phys ed and nutrition and all that sort of stuff," Sandals said. "So, we will put out some pamphlets in easy-to-consume form."

Read More

Ben Levin case casts shadow over new sex ed curriculum

Liz Sandals is turning out to be a no-nonsense Education Minister with a better grasp of what goes on in schools than most ministers in the past.

Her crackdown on the mischief at the Toronto District School Board is bold and long overdue.

Her grasp of education is a result of her many years as a trustee with the Ontario Public School Boards Association.

That said, I don't envy her the task ahead of bringing in the new sex ed curriculum.

The Liberals botched their previous attempt in 2010 to re-vamp the curriculum.

Read More

Sandals 'taken aback' by reaction to sex ed curriculum changes

Ontario's education minister is surprised by some of the criticism over the province's proposed changes to the sex ed curriculum, saying the concept of consent is already taught to primary school children.

"I've been quite taken aback by things that people are trying to label as sex ed," Liz Sandals said Wednesday.

The current physical and health education curriculum teaches Grade 1 students parts of the body.

Read More

Ottawa 'sexsomniac' not criminally responsible for sex assault on daughter because he was sleepwalking

An Ottawa man on trial for sexually assaulting his seven-year-old daughter was found not criminally responsible on Tuesday after a judge ruled he was in a state of automatism while sleepwalking.

Diagnosed with "sexsomnia," or sleep sex, the man was accused of crawling into bed with his young daughter in December, 2010, after his wife kicked him out of bed after a night of drinking. He then allegedly removed his daughter's underwear and held her down as he touched her. He allegedly pushed the Grade 3 student off the bed when she tried to fight him off.

Dr. Colin Shapiro, a sleep expert, testified at trial that the man was likely asleep when the assault took place, suffering from parasomnia, a type of sleep disorder that can include sleep eating, sleep walking and sleep sex, that he said can be triggered by alcohol consumption.

Read More

Wynne's sex ed photo-op raises eyebrows

They may be among the youngest political lobbyists ever seen at Queen's Park.

But if Premier Kathleen Wynne thought bringing in two 13-year-old girls to help push through her new sex education curriculum would prevent push back, she misread it.

When it comes to Wynne's hope to start teaching children in Grade 1 about sexual consent, an appalled Dr. Charles McVety - president of Canada Christian College - let it be known it won't be done without a fight.

Read More